If you’re like me, you’ve spent a good amount of time trying to figure out God’s plan for you life. I think that’s a natural desire. We want to see the big picture. We want to know how all the pieces fit together and whether or not we’re on the right track.
One of the most liberating discoveries I’ve found in God’s Word is that we don’t need to figure out the plan. We were never meant to. Not once in the Bible does it say, “Figure it out!” Instead, we’re told to Trust God and live life one day at a time. That doesn’t mean we don’t have plans and aspirations for the future; it simply means we embrace each day as a gift from God and allow Him to set our course.
Since we know that God wants us to fully embrace the moment, instead of trying to figure out every detail of His long-term plan for your life, let’s start by focusing in on what He wants you to do today. If we’ll do these things each day, I’m confident God will take care of the rest.
1. Be Thankful. Give thanks for Today and for all you have. God’s Will for our life includes a constant spirit of gratitude regardless of our circumstances. When we choose to give thanks, even if our circumstances don’t improve, our perspective certainly will.
“This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalm 118:24
“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-28
2. Don’t Worry. Refuse to let fear rob you of your peace. God is bigger than whatever you’re stressed about! Give your worries over to Him.
“Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.” Philippians 4:6
3. Seek God. He wants a relationship with you. He wants you to pursue His Kingdom because you will eternally be part of it.
“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13
“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” Matthew 6:33
4. Help Others. We live in a selfish world, but selfishness isn’t part of God’s plan for any of our lives. He wants us to care for others every chance we get.
“Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.” James 1:27
“Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10
5. Trust God. Every difficult circumstance in your life is something God will use for your good and His glory. He has great blessings in store for you. Trust Him and don’t give up!
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[i] have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. “ Jeremiah 29:11