“God is Love.” 1 John 4:8
The Bible clearly teaches that God not only does love, God is Love, so we often assume that a loving God doesn’t hate anything. The Truth is, because God loves us so much, He hates anything that could harm us. For example, God created the gift of marriage, so the Bible teaches that “God hates divorce.” God obviously loves divorced people, but His heart breaks when marriages end that way. He wants more for us.
When we learn what God hates, we’l be able to see more clearly the blessings and the potential pitfalls that are before us. The most famous passage in the Bible that deals with these issues is found in the Book of Proverbs. It says…
“There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.” Proverbs 6:16-19
Let’s unpack these one at a time:
1. Pride. “Haughty eyes” refers to the sin of pride. God loves all people so when we look down on others, it does harm to them and it does harm to us. Pride is pure Selfishness. Pride is the sin that got Satan kicked out of Heaven. Pride is the soil in which all other sin takes root.
2. Lying. “A lying tongue” refers to all lying in every form. Jesus is the Truth. Satan is the “Father of Lies.” Truth and Love are the Cornerstones of God’s Character, so anything that is the enemy of Truth is the Enemy of God.
3. Unprovoked Violence. “Hands that shed innocent blood” refers to all forms of attack (whether physical, verbal or psychological) motivated by selfishness. This behavior is the opposite of being a “Peacemaker” which is what God calls us to be.
4. Impure Motives. “A heart that devises wicked schemes” refers to all dark and secret motives that lead a person towards Sin. God isn’t concerned with outward appearances…He wants us to have pure hearts and pure motives.
5. Rebellion. “Feet that are quick to rush into evil” refers to rebellion against God’s perfect Law. Those who defiantly choose a path of lawlessness are choosing to make themselves Enemies of God. Despite our defiant sin, we can turn back to God (repent) and be received with open arms because of His Amazing Grace.
6. Injustice. “A false witness who pours out lies” refers to anyone who stands in the way of Justice. Whenever the helpless or innocent are victimized, God’s Holy Anger rages. Lovers of God must also strive to bring Justice to all people…especially for the victimized and marginalized.
7. Dissension. “A person who stirs up conflict in the community” refers to anyone who become a threat to Unity and Peace. This one is listed last to give it special attention, because God deeply desires a unified Spirit of Peace within His Family (The Church). There is power in Unity and there is destruction in dissension. That doesn’t mean we always agree, but it does mean that we work diligently to maintain what the Bible refers to as, “…the Unity of the Spirit in the Bond of Peace.”