I’m not sure who is handling the Marketing and Public Relations for Christianity, but I think they should be fired!
Somewhere along the way, The Church has allowed The World to get a messed up view of Christianity. So-called Christians have come to be seen as narrow-minded, bigoted, boring, judgmental, prudish old fogies looking down their noses at everybody else (if this describes you, please stop telling people you are a Christian because you’re misrepresenting the Faith)!
The Truth is, when an authentic Faith in Christ is lived out the way Jesus intended, it’s the most life-giving, world-changing and liberating way of life that the world has ever known!
Here are just a few of the countless reasons why I love following Jesus:
1. My Past has no Power over Me. We’ve all got a past, and tragically, so many people lock themselves up in a prison of regret and anger over the things they’ve done and the things that have been done to them. The Christian definition of “Grace” is the only Worldview that makes it possible to live in freedom and forgiveness. Grace is not just wishful thinking; it’s a reality made possible by the death and resurrection of Jesus and it’s a free gift to all who trust and follow HIm.
2. I know where I’m going! It was Yogi Berra who said, “If you don’t know where you’re going, you’ll end up somewhere else!” Simple, but true. Countless souls are just wandering through life with no direction, but God wants our lives to have focus and a clear course. That’s why He gave the Bible to teach us, the Holy Spirit to guide us and promised us that our final destination will be in Heaven. My ticket to Heaven’ isn’t based on my goodness but on Christ’s, so I can’t lose! I hope to see you there!
3. I know that al my pain is temporary. As a follower of Christ, God promises to bring good out of every negative experience this world can throw my way. The Bible says, “God works everything together for the good of those who love God and are called according to HIs purposes. (Romans 8:28)” That knowledge gives me the strength to endure anything, because I know God will bring good out of it.
4. I’m never alone! In a world consumed by loneliness, Christians have the reality of God’s presence with them constantly. Jesus said, “Never will I leave you or forsake you” and He never will! In addition, we’ve got the physical presence of “The Church” which isn’t a building, but a living, breathing body made up of other followers of Christ. God intended for us to live our lives in authentic, enriching Community and He provides the richest relationships possible.
5. Joy. God gives us joy which is something far richer than the world’s definition of “happiness.” It means that because of all God has done for us, all He’s doing in us and what’s He’s promised to bring us, even on our worst day, Christians have a million reasons to smile!
So, what are some of YOUR favorite reasons for being a Christian? If you’re not yet a Believer, what are some of Your biggest obstacles to following Christ?